Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Learning to Live Strong.

Earlier last week in my post,From Austin to Athens for Uncle Mike, I told you how because I am living in Greece that I wouldn't be able to run the Austin Livestrong Half Marathon I signed up for this summer that takes place February 20th. Instead I will be running my own Half Marathon for Team Livestrong the same day only I'll be doing it in Athens, Greece in memory of my Uncle Mike who lost his battle with cancer this past July.


I'm excited for the challenge of running my first Half Marathon by myself. The motivation behind why I am running it will definitely get me to the 13.1mile mark. 




The only down side to running over here in Greece is that I don't get to partake in all the marathon weekend activities.  Today I received an invitation to have brunch at the Livestrong Headquarters in Austin. Now if you know me, you know that I am a major geek when it comes to this kind of stuff. Last summer when I was in Portland my boyfriend and I were trying to make our way into the Nike Campus only to be rejected (ouch). I am super sad I can't be there. 


What makes this even worse is that Olympic gold medalist Joan Benoit Samuelson will be at the brunch for a Q&A. Now as a woman and as a marathoner, Joan Benoit is well...MY IDOL!!! She was the first woman to ever win an Olympic gold medal in the marathon distance, she is a bad ass! 




I guess it wasn't meant to be this time, I'll have to visit Livestong HQ and meet Joan Benoit at some other point in my life. 


I do know that running for Team Livestrong has been amazing, this is my fourth event with the Team and knowing that every mile I run is helping people living with cancer and research so that cancer will one day be a word of the past. 


My goal was to reach $1,000 for this event and I am currently at $923! If you are interested in donating check out my personal Livestrong Webpage below. 


My Livestrong Donation Page

So with February now underway, I am in Half Marathon mode. Only 18 days to go until I am hitting the 1/2 mile loop in Nea Smyrni Park living strong!

No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs