Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Brooklyn Half.

A few weeks back I had to make a decision on whether I would run a half marathon to try and qualify for the New York City Marathon or run a full marathon to qualify for the Boston Marathon. 

I decided to register and run the Brooklyn Half Marathon that will take place May 21st, with hopes of running under a 1:37 and qualifying for  the New York City Marathon.  I am currently at the 1:39:16 mark, so close to reaching my goal. To qualify for NYC would be a dream come true. 

The Brooklyn Half holds a special place in my heart, it was where I ran my first half marathon. I had no experience in the distance but wanted to try it out, I secretly registered and only told two people that I was doing it. I didn't tell my parents because I knew they'd get nervous, so on race day I told them I was going to go watch the race in Brooklyn.

On race day  the weather was perfect and since I didn't know what to expect  I ran with ease. I clocked a pretty good time for someone with minimal training. After finishing I called mother and told her I decided to run the race last minute, she was shocked but proud.  On April 14th, 2007 I officially fell in love with long distance running all over again, it had gotten away from me for awhile but on the streets of Brooklyn, we reconnected, made amends and our love affair has been going strong ever since. 

So by running the Brooklyn Half, I hope to achieve something that I've been working towards for the last four years and that is running with no limits, through the pain and reaching the finish line with a qualifying time. 

Brooklyn Half 2007
(I miss that yellow hat.)


No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs