Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bathroom, you haven't grown on me. (Literally)

Greece is a great place, and I am really happy to say that for six months I have lived in this country. The people are nice, the food is amazing, some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, architecture so crazy and so old that you wonder how the hell did they make something like that back then,the birth of the marathon took place here, the history, the coffee is great. I could go on and on, I am definitely not a "hater" of this country by any means. 

I am however not a "lover" of some things that I have had to get used to while living abroad, such as my early battles with hanging my clothes to dry, or the fact that everyone smokes. They smoke at my guys arena while they're playing, they smoke in the cafes, restaurants, gas stations (not so smart), I saw a man running and smoking (interesting), I swear babies learn to smoke before they walk here. When I come back to the apartment after dinner, I smell like I was clubbing in Manhattan circa 2003. I am also not a "lover" of the the feral cats waking me up every morning like clockwork. 

But the MAIN thing I am not a "lover" of is our bathroom. I loathe this bathroom, I have nightmares about this bathroom, it haunts me! I guess you could say it is on the tiny side, I mean if you sit down on the toilet your knees are up against the door but hey some people might like that. The shower, yikes...the shower is a triangle that runs probably a foot wide and two feet long. Now I've never really seen a triangle shower and I don't think shower curtain manufactures really focus on the triangle shower market, so anytime you take a shower a flash flood warning pops up, everything gets wet. 

I don't know if it's the color of the bathroom or the fact that there is probably less then an ounce of water in the toilet, the room freaking stinks. Yea, gross! We clean and we scrub and disinfect. I don't know if it's in my head but every time I go in there I smell smells that no woman ever wants to smell. I scrub the floor more times then I care to admit, one might think I have OCD but I still refuse to walk into that room barefoot. When my guy comes out of the bathroom wearing socks and sits on our bed, I shriek in horror. He then reminds me that I clean the bathroom every hour on the hour and that it can't possibly be dirty. 

I'd rather use a Porta-Potty!

When I came home for Christmas, I was so happy to see every one and be back in New York. But what I was really happy about was using a nice clean bathroom, I actually cried when I entered my bathroom back home. My mom said the long flight probably made me a little delusional but I knew these were tears of joy towards this wonderful bathroom. 

I believe I've developed a phobia of this bathroom in Greece, I time myself trying to spend as little time as possible in there. If I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I hold it probably causing kidney damage because I hate the thought of having to go into that dreadful room. My cousin is coming out in a few weeks and my guy asked if I had the "bathroom talk" with her, I broke the news to her over Skype, warning her that this bathroom would definitely not be featured in Martha Stewart Living, she smiled but I could tell she was cringing inside. 


When we found our new apartment the only picture I wanted to see was of the bathroom. No triangle shower, check. It's bigger then four feet, check. From the picture it didn't look like it smelled, ding, ding, ding we have a winner. Yes, I may sound crazy but a bathroom is a very personal space and if you can't feel comfortable in your own bathroom then it becomes a problem. 


So that my friends is the main con being over here, having to deal with this tiny, putrid, horrific, makes me want to hurl, room we call our bathroom. Other then that I'm as happy as a clam.

No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs