Monday, January 17, 2011

Lake Vouliagmeni

Yesterday my boyfriend had the day off so we decided to take a drive to Lake Vouliagmeni, which is about thirty minutes south of Athens. When we arrived I couldn't believe what my eyes where looking at, it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. 

Lake Vouliagmeni is a fresh water lake, which was once a large cavern that collapsed after an earthquake. The water stays at a temperature of 24 degrees Celsius, which is about 73 degrees fahrenheit year round. The lake continues deep inside the mountain that surrounds it in an underwater cave that has never fully been explored. 

The atmosphere at the lake was very serene, even though is was cool outside we decided to go for a dip. The minute you put your feet in the water you are greeted by swarms of little fish which "kiss" your feet. The kissing fish supposedly take the dead skin off your feet, very interesting and ticklish to say the least. The water was so nice once you got used to the temperature. The lake is said to be full of natural minerals which are very good for you. 

While I was drying off, I had an "ahh-haa" moment, this would be the perfect place to train for the swim leg of my half ironman that I am competing in this August. The swim is what I am most nervous about and now that we found this great place, I feel a little more confident. 

If anyone of you reading this ever take a trip to Greece, this should be at the top of your list of places to visit, you will not be disappointed. It costs eight Euros to swim but it is well worth it, you'll literally feel like you are in paradise. 

Here are some Picture along with a short video of 
Lake Vouliagmeni.



No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs