Saturday, January 29, 2011

CrossFit Tabata Intervals 1...Meg 0

Because I am now training for a Half Ironman triathlon, I've really had to take my training to the next level. My workouts each week would usually consist of long runs and yoga, I can't get away with that anymore. I've now included swimming, speed/tempo runs, yoga with extended core workouts and the newest addition Crossfit. 

My manfriend is a Crossfit junkie, he is actually a certified Level 1 Crossfit instructor and is always on the Crossfit website looking up the workout of the day, watching videos, reading blogs, Crossfit, Crossfit, Crossfit. I am always mildly paying attention to the videos and he is always proclaiming that it is just the kind of workouts I need that can get me to the next level.


What is Crossfit, you may be asking. Crossfit is a strength and conditioning style of workout. It combines weightlifting, sprinting and gymnastics. The people of Crossfit believe that in order to be a good athlete, you must have proficiency in all ten of the fitness domains which include; cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, agility, balance, coordination, and accuracy.Blah, blah, blah. 

It all sounded very scientific to me and when my guy started reading me some of the workouts, I was literally scared for my life but I was willing to try it out. I mean if Crossfit could get me closer to my dream, there is no harm in trying.

So this morning, I had my manfriend whip up a workout for me. I would be doing Tabata intervals. The Tabata intervals consist of 20 seconds of all out intensity exercise, followed by ten seconds of rest which is done for a total of four minutes, so eight sets in all.

This didn't sound so difficult, I would be doing Tabata squats, Tabate bicycle crunches, Tabata planks, Tabata hip raises and Tabata back bridges. Well I was totally wrong, this workout wasn't  hard, it was insane. I went into oxygen debt right at the start of the bicycle crunches and was in pain the rest of the way. Being that the sets are short bursts of intensity it gives your body really no time to respond. 

When I completed the workout I was dazed but also was so proud of myself that I did every set. It really kicked my butt, and I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow but I realized that these workouts will definitely help my achieve, succeed and get me into amazing shape. So hopefully in a couple of months I will not only be a beast of an athlete on my way to completing a Half Ironman, I will also have abs like Marisa Miller. 
Hey, one can dream!



No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs