Sunday, November 7, 2010

On the Road to Ironman.

On October 10th I accomplished something that I'd been chasing for three years, running five marathons under the age of twenty five. After a few days of celebrating my achievement I began to think, what next?

This was the first time in a very long time that I didn't have a race scheduled or a goal to catch. I got nervous as I began to run again, stressing to my boyfriend that I need a plan or all this running will feel pointless, being that he's an athlete he knew what my mind was going through and knowing me especially, he knew I needed an objective.

I began to research, maybe I'll run a marathon while we are overseas, who knows when I'd get the chance again. Maybe I needed a break from marathons, doing four in one year probably isn't the best thing to be doing to your body. What about an ultra marathon? Maybe really focus on my half marathon time and try for a personal record. Train for the Staten Island Triple Crown, really get my speed together while I'm away, and turn some heads when I get home. So many thoughts and ideas but none really pulled me.

Then that big goal that's been tucked away in the back of my mind started to peek through. My boyfriend who is a Crossfit addict (I'll write about this in detail soon), was watching a Crossfit video on some athletes competing in the Ironman triathlon series. I pretended like I wasn't interested in the video, meanwhile my mind started racing, I knew what was coming.

Since I was thirteen and watched NBC cover the Ironman Championship in Kona, Hawaii that was it the biggest goal I'd ever set for myself was born. I knew it would be a life long goal, something I'd really have to work for, an Ironman isn't something you just sign up for, it's years of preparation and I wanted it.

My boyfriend and I sat down and discussed what I wanted to do and how I planned to do it, we thought the next step would be to compete in the Ironman 70.3 series in 2011 and work from there. an Ironman 70.3 consists of swimming 1.2 Miles, biking 56 Miles and running 13.1 Miles. This wasn't going to be an easy task but I knew I needed to take this step, if I wanted to make my biggest dream a reality.

I researched all the available races in the United States this summer, and the 70.3 in New Hampshire late August sounded perfect for various reasons. My sister will be moving up to New Hampshire in June and the course is right by her town, and the swim is in a lake rather then the ocean. This in particular was a big sell, I was a little nervous thinking about entering the ocean for a 1.2 mile swim my first Half Ironman. I registered, one of the more nerve racking experiences in my life, I knew there was no turning back and that this race is no joke.

My Acceptance Letter. 


I'm excited to start training and begin my road towards Ironman my ultimate dream swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles and running 26.2 miles, I know that is a few years off, but I'm on the right track.  I guess like the old saying goes, "the time is now." Ironman 70.3 Timberman, New Hampshire here I come and I'm going to beast you.


No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs