Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My Ode to New York.

When I was leaving for Greece I knew I would miss my family, dog, friends, co-workers, my Starbucks and my job at Abercrombie. What I didn't know was that as I took off from JFK and saw New York City getting smaller and further away that I would start to cry. Not crying because of the people I would miss, but I was tearing up about my city.

I have a special relationship with this city, as I think most people do who are from New York. It has always been an unspoken bond, a mutual understanding. It's only from being away from my city that I've realized how much I love it. Stepping back and seeing New York from a far via Slingbox and Internet, I can fully appreciate what once I've taken for granted. Someone recently told me that, "You'll miss New York before you unpack," and I couldn't agree more.



This in my Ode to New York.

New York, the city that never sleeps, the Big Apple, Gotham, the Empire State, if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. The concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can't do. New York, the melting pot. 

There's so many aspects of New York that make it the greatest. The hustle and bustle of the city streets, the beauty of our parks, the rudeness of our driver's, our restaurants, our museums, our history,  our fashion,  Broadway, Harlem, Chinatown, Wall Street, Fifth Ave, Chelsea, Soho, the Lower East Side, the Seaport, our bridges, our boroughs and our people.

I love New York. I love that I'm from Staten Island and that I get mocked for it. But I am proud of where I am from. I love that I can walk down the street and run into a family member or friend. I love that there is a pizzeria, deli and nail salon within a three block radius.

 I love that Manhattan is only a ferry ride away. I love the ferry, as much as I would complain about my daily commute into work, how lucky was I to ride through New York Harbor everyday, looking at the Statue of Liberty and thinking well this is just a daily occurrence.  

I love the way the city looks when it's waking up, the Daily News trucks delivering the day's news. I love that there is a Starbucks on every corner and they all have lines out the door. I love the traffic. I love walking down a city street and for a moment thinking, look where I am, this is bad ass.

I love my city and I weeped for her after we were attacked on September 11th. I love my city and how everyone came together in our darkest hour. I love how no one but a New Yorker will ever truly understand the impact that day had on us, and it never leaves you. I love New York.

I love New York, Home of the Yankees, the Mets, the Giants, the Jets, the Knicks, the New York City Marathon and the Rangers. I love New York and how much people hate our fans. 

I love New York in the Fall, walking in the crisp air. I love New York in the Winter, the magical feel in the air around Christmas, and how the snow is never really white for more then a day. I love New York on that first warm day in March, when you know the beauty of Spring in New York is on it's way. I love New York in the Summer, the buzzing of the air conditioners, the humidity that would drive anyone crazy and enjoying a Ralph's Ice. 

I love New York even when I hate it. I love New York because it's a challenge. I love New York because she can make you feel so small, yet so powerful all at once. I love New York for all it's possibilities.

I love New York because it's my home and will always be my home.  When all is said and done, New York, I love you. 


New York, New York -- 

A hell of a town, 
The Bronx is up and the Battery's down. 
The People ride in a hole in the ground. 
New York, New York -- 
It's a hell of a town. 

- Leonard Bernstein      

3 comments:

becky said...

I'm only down in new Jersey and you're making me miss New York ridiculously right now! Beautifully put Meggie! <3

Meggie said...

Glad you liked it!! Love and miss you.

sammy said...

I love this!!! Can't wait for what New York has in store for me when i'm older!!!

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs