Friday, November 25, 2011

Wooden and Me...and Kyle too.

On Wednesday Kyle and I hopped into our car and headed forty minutes outside Limoges into the French countryside to Hareswith Breeders to pick up the newest edition of our clan. Awaiting at Hareswith was our eight week old golden retriever puppy, Wooden. I can't tell you how excited I was pulling up to the breeder's place, knowing what was waiting for us inside.

The lovely breeder, Sally took us inside an old rustic barn to introduce us to our little dude. When we walked inside it was definitely a kodak moment, four amazingly cute puppies jumped up to greet us, I was in heaven. Sally showed us which one was our Wooden and my heart literally melted, he was perfect and he was ours. When I picked him up he cuddled into me, I knew he was the perfect fit, I didn't want to put him down.

Wooden aka Going for Gold de Hareswith

After we were introduced to Wooden, Sally led us into her house where we then met Wooden's dad, Laird who is a international champion show dog, he was beautiful and boy was he huge, showing us what Wooden's size could indeed be. Sally was very helpful giving us a guide on how to take care of our new pup, a huge bag of kibble  and also handed over his French passport. Yep, you read that right, Wooden has his own passport since he will be quite the jetsetter.

It was now time to take Wooden home, there was a rather sad moment when we were leaving Hareswith, Sally brought Wooden's mom Clover outside to say goodbye to her son. I had to use everything in me to fight back the tears that were welling up in my eyes, I kept hoping this wasn't too traumatic an experience for Wooden, taking him outside the only surroundings he ever knew.

Wooden's Dad Laird.

Wooden's Mom Clover.

I sat in the backseat with our new pup on our ride back to our apartment, he was amazing, very calm but I could tell he was frightened, this was his first time riding in a car. When we arrived at the apartment it took him a few minutes to warm up into coming into the living room, he sat by our coat rack giving us one of the saddest faces. He eventually warmed up to his new home, checking everything out, playing with all his toys and eventually passing out between Kyle and I.

Wooden has been an amazing edition to Kyle's and my life and it has only been three days. He is going to play a major part in our lives. I can't wait until he's a little older when I can start taking him on my easy runs, I've read that they make the perfect running partner. I'll be sure to post about Wooden from time to time so you can see him grow as we do. They say dogs are a man's best friend and it's clearly to see why.











No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs