Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Citius, Altius, Fortius.

I have many things I want to see and accomplish in my life, but what I got to see today may top all of them. This blows everything out of the water because this place is what makes me, well me. Today I got to visit the ancient Olympic Stadium in Athens, Greece. Pulling up to this ancient historical sight took my breath away. Being somewhat of an athlete, and growing up following all things sport, it's hard not to be in awe of such a place, where sport was born. The stadium was built in the early 700's B.C., hearing that alone makes this place so special.


The Olympic Rings.

My boyfriend and I took the Olympic tour and it was so well done. They explain the history of the stadium in a way that would give anyone chills. For me the two highlights of the tour were; going into the Tunnel of the Spirits, this was the tunnel where all the athletes ran out of to meet their fate. The other highlight was being able to run on the Olympic track, as a marathon runner I could feel the history through my feet as they hit the track and all that surrounded me. 


The Tunnel of the Spirits.

Running on the Olympic track.

View from the top of the Stadium

This is an experience that I will take with me the rest of my life, as corny as that sounds. But anyone who has gone or will visit the stadium would most likely agree. 


The Athens Marathon is this Sunday the 31st, it will be the 2500th running. The athletes will run the original course which starts in Marathon and finishes in the Olympic Stadium rounding the track. The marathon is twenty seven miles which is a little longer then the normal twenty six point two mile distance. I will definitely be there cheering all the runners on, and hopefully one day I'll be lucky enough to run into that stadium myself.

No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs